[tlbuild] dvisvgm

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 11:36:05 CET 2017

Dear Martin,

On 9 February 2017 at 11:25, Martin Gieseking wrote:
> Am 09.02.2017 um 11:08 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>>
>> My question: is it considered an overkill to include google code in
>> your sources? It's not exactly clear to me how this FAQ applies:
>>
>> https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/docs/FAQ.md#why-is-it-not-recommended-to-install-a-pre-compiled-copy-of-google-test-for-example-into-usrlocal
>
> I'd rather not include the gtest sources to dvisvgm, but if there's no easy
> way to get it installed on macOS, I'll reconsider it. At least, most Linux
> distros provide gtest packages. In the case of Ubuntu, they only package the
> gtest sources which the user has to compile before the first use.

It's not about "there's no easy way to get it installed", but about
the nature of the test suit that according to my understanding (and
according to the linked ticket) *SHOULD NOT* be installed.

Installing the sources should probably work, but from what I
understand it also requires compiling a bunch of things.

Testing dvisvgm on an older (mac)OS is a particular example where
testing would almost certainly go wrong if precompiled. If everything
else is compiled against libstdc++, then so would be gtest. But
dvisvgm has to be compiled against libc++ (or against gcc's libstdc++
that's again incompatible with the default system libstdc++) and I
imagine that things would crash. But please ask for a second opinion.
I have no clue how things should be handled properly with respect to
gtest.

>> and if there is some simple way to automate the tests (without me
>> having to go through all the steps of manually fetching and compiling
>> gtest each time; I would love it if simply "make test" worked out of
>> the box). See also:
>>
>>     https://trac.macports.org/ticket/48800
>
> The Makefile in doc/ should already take care of this. If the gtest headers
> and libraries are installed, "make check" in the dvisvgm root folder should
> build and execute all tests.

Yes, I tried that (actually I used the wrong target), but then my
testing stopped at "gtest header missing". That's why I asked.