[tlbuild] diagnosis of the missing -lpthreads problem

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sun Apr 24 02:48:32 CEST 2016

I've now done a fresh build of the texlive-20160423 snapshot on
OpenBSD 5.9, without adding -lpthreads to all of the Makefiles.  Each
time the build failed with missing pthread symbols, I stepped to that
directory and added that library in front of -lm in the Makefile, then
restarted the build.

On completion, only these executables now refer to the pthread libraries:

	libpthread		bibtexu upmendex

	libpthread-stubs	inimf mf mflua mflua-nowin mfluajit \
				mfluajit-nowin pdfclose pdfopen \
				xdvi-xaw xelatex xelollipop xetex

The binary distribution tree at

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/bin

now has the latest build for OpenBSD 5.9 on x86-64.

Here are the directories where I had to modify Makefiles:

	% find Work -name Makefile | sort | xargs grep -l -e -lpthread
	Work/libs/harfbuzz/Makefile
	Work/libs/icu/Makefile
	Work/libs/icu/icu-build/extra/scrptrun/Makefile
	Work/libs/icu/icu-build/samples/layout/Makefile
	Work/texk/bibtex-x/Makefile
	Work/texk/upmendex/Makefile

If the source configure.{ac,in} and/or Makefile.in files associated
with those directories could be corrected in the TeX Live 2016 master
source tree, this mess could be repaired, and manual intervention
would not be needed.

I prefer not to make such patches myself, because I have plenty to do
already.