[tlbuild] More progress at Utah

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sun Apr 24 00:59:08 CEST 2016

The Web site

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/texlive/

continues to be updated, and now provides TeX Live 2016 builds for 49
platforms.

We have not had successful builds of TeX Live for OpenBSD systems,
except in the 2003, 2007, 2008, and 2012 directories.

I'm pleased to announce that the above site now has binaries for
OpenBSD 5.8 and 5.9 on x86-64.  OpenBSD 5.9 was released only on
29-Mar-2016, but I just learned of it two days ago.  The vendor site
for those systems is based on TeX Live 2014.

Those builds were not problem free: on them, and also many others, I
have found that builds failed with missing references to pthread
symbols.

Yesterday, I found out why: GNU/Linux libc.so contains those symbols,
so if -lpthread is omitted, linking still succeeds on those common
systems.  However, on many other platforms, that library is needed,
but is not being supplied by configure or Makefile settings.

As a quick fix, for the OpenBSD 5.8 and 5.9 builds, in every Makefile
in the build tree where there was mention of -lm, I used GNU sed to
rewrite them in place to have -lpthread -lm.  That is only a stopgap
solution, because it makes more than 200 executables have a dependency
on libpthread.so, and I suspect that most of those dependencies are
not needed.

I'm going to examine source code to try to find out exactly which
directory Makefiles really do need -lpthread.

I still have 6 earlier versions of OpenBSD on which I'm trying builds,
but so far, even with the -lpthread addition, I've yet to resolve the
build problems.