[tlbuild] Request to build original e-TeX by default

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jun 25 23:44:15 CEST 2015

    it is said that etex build is disabled by default (it is actually a
    symlink to pdftex).
    Please explain the reasons behind this.

Simple -- compatibility.  Peter and I discussed this years ago.  The
etex binary has actually been pdftex (with dvi output) for very many
years.  So it would cause endless unnecessary pain to change it now;
pdftex contains plenty of primitives not related to pdf output that
packages rely on.  We will not change this.

    On the same resource it is said that "there is no comparably simple
    way to install e-TeX".

What you did seems fine to me.  "comparably simple" was about installing
all the necessary support files needed beyond what "make install" gives.

karl