[tlbuild] Question : Build instruction for complete, from source, from scratch install

Paul Vojta vojta at math.berkeley.edu
Sun Jan 19 01:42:35 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 07:55:11PM +0100, Magnus Larsson wrote:
> > Subject: Re: [tlbuild] Latex.fmt not found : texlive-20130530-source.tar.xz
> > Date: Friday 10 January 2014, 13:36:46
> > From: Paul Vojta <vojta at math.berkeley.edu>
> > To: Magnus Larsson <k.magnus.larsson at tele2.se>
> > CC: tlbuild at tug.org
> >
> > Dear Mr. Larsson:
> >
> > Running "make" and "make install" are only the beginning.
> >
> > You also need to populate the texmf tree with all of the macros,
> > configure various options (via texconfig-sys), run mklinks to create the
> > symbolic links, and run
> >
> > 	fmtutil-sys --all
> >
> > and
> >
> > 	updmap-sys
> >
> > together with frequent runnings of mktexlsr.
> >
> Dear tlbuild at tug.org,
>
> Question : Build instruction for complete, from source, from scratch, install
>
> Is there a build instruction available how to set up a working system with
> tools, macros, fonts and documentation?
>
> I have tried to browse http://www.tug.org/texlive and the source tar ball for
> build instructions for a complete install. But I have not found any.
>
> I understand from the reply above, that much more is needed for a complete
> system of tools, macros, fonts and documentation, compared to a simple
> configure, make and make install of the tarball.
> ftp://tug.org/texlive/historic/2013/texlive-20130530-source.tar.xz
>
> I have a Linux From Scratch system (LFS). http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
> uname -a
> Linux lfs 3.10.1 #6 SMP Sat Sep 14 18:20:45 CEST 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/pst/texlive.html
>
> Best regards,
>
> Magnus Larsson

There's documentation for kpathsea in http://tug.org/texinfohtml/kpathsea.html
and documentation for fmtutil and updmap in their respective man pages.

I don't know of any detailed step-by-step documentation of how to install
the texmf trees, etc. from scratch.  You'll need to look at how TeX Live
does it.

You can always install a precompiled version of TeX Live from the web or
a DVD; see http://tug.org/texlive/

This is what I suggest that you do.

Sincerely,

Paul Vojta