[tlbuild] texlive-20130330 snapshot build report

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Sun Mar 31 01:12:29 CET 2013

I'm pleased to report that the texlive-20130330 snapshot that I
fetched this morning has built successfully on these NINE platforms
(minus the clisp and asymtote programs, which I leave until late in
the build efforts):

	alpha-linux		(Gentoo 2.1)
	i386-linux-ubuntu-12
	i386-linux		(Red Hat 5.9)

	ia64-linux		(Red Hat 5.9)
	powerpc-linux		(Gentoo 2.1)
	sparc-linux		(Gentoo 2.1)

	x86_64-linux-osuse-11
	x86_64-linux-rhel-6
	x86_64-linux		(Red Hat 5.9)

I made build attempts on several other platforms, but they still have
issues that I need to work on next week.

I also have a new (one-week-old) DragonFly BSD 3.2 x86_64 system
running on which I've been building software from source all week,
with scores of successful builds.  That system's binary pkgin system
has 10,126 available packages, so it is clear that it has a good build
record.  The TeX Live 2013 build configure run caused it to run out of
processes, and I had to reboot the system.  I tried again after the
reboot, and monitored the activity, finally typing Ctl-Z to suspend
the build.  With "ps auxww", I found 436 simultaneous processes with
this signature:

    /usr/pkg/bin/perl -w /usr/pkg/bin/fort77 -fPIC -o conftest.o -c /tmp/fort77-20618-1.c

The PATH variable is set to /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/pkg/bin, so only
vendor-provided software should be visible.

As usual, I've put my automated build script on the Web to document
how I do the builds:

	http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe/tlbuild

Each build-texlive-YYYY.sh script is carefully written to guide its
actions with uname output, rather than local hostnames, so it should
be easily used at many other sites.