[tlbuild] Building TeXLive2013 on MinGW (Yung-Jang Lee)

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Feb 13 21:35:39 CET 2013

On 2013-02-14 at 01:27:55 +0800, Yung-Jang Lee wrote:

 > As  posted  in
 >
 >    http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2013q1/002428.html
 >
 > we can build TL2013 without touch autoconf's core file(status.m4).
 >
 > Procedure to  build TL on MinGW is :
 >
 >   1. Change DOS formated files (with CRLF as end of line) to Unix format,
 > these include :
 >       a. m4 files in source/m4/
 >       b. lnstall-sh , ltmain.sh in source/build-aux/
 >       c. dvipng.texi in texk/dvipng/doc/

These files have Unix line endings in the repository, hence it's best
to configure subversion accordingly.  Karl prepared a config file

  http://tug.org/texlive/svn/config.txt

already.  See http://tug.org/texlive/svn/setup.html (item 5) for more
information about installation.

Lines like

 *.m4   = svn:eol-style=native
 *.sh   = svn:eol-style=native

should better be changed to

 *.m4   = svn:eol-style=LF
 *.sh   = svn:eol-style=LF

Files processed by regular expressions might be problematic if they
have DOS line endings.  AFAIK all Unix tools, even if compiled under
Windows, expect Unix line endings.  For instance, a regexp supposed to
match spaces at the end of a line / *$/ will not match with DOS line
endings because it's assumed that a line ends with LF.

Even worse, I just converted linebreaks in a Perl script on Linux from
LF to CRLF.  As a result, the script can't be executed because the
shebang line isn't recognized anymore.  The shell strips trailing
spaces at the end of the line but the CR is left over.

Thus I think that many files in the Build tree should better be
checked out with Unix line endings on all systems.

BTW, if you don't have a subversion config file but the files you
checked out have DOS line endings, then I would assume that
"svn:eol-style=native" is subversion's default for non-binary files.

If this is true I could imagine that Karl's config file can be
significantly smaller.  It has to cover only the exceptions then.

Regards,
  Reinhard

 >   2. execuate 'reautoconf'
 >   3. ./Build --without-ln-s