[tlbuild] graphite2-1.2.0 and gcc3

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jan 10 00:56:36 CET 2013

    here now a patch that allows to compile harfbuzz with gcc-3.4.6

Thanks.

    I think everyone could install gcc4

My worry wasn't about TL builders having gcc4, that should be no
problem.  It was about shared lib dependencies of the resulting
binaries due to our static linking not being completely effective, or
some kind of implicit dependencies on other libraries or the kernel.

However, I just checked with ldd, and there are no meaningful
differences between the TL'12 binaries I built on Debian sarge with gcc3
and the binaries I currently get from the dev sources building on
CentOS-5 (= tug.org) with gcc4.  (Even the latest, gcc 4.7.2)
I'll try to stop worrying.

So I'll plan to use gcc4 on CentOS-5 for i386-linux in TL'13.
(Has the added advantage that I can build Asymptote at the same time as
all the rest, which will be nice.)

If anyone else was building with gcc3, be warned and try a build now
with gcc4 ...

Norbert, thanks for offering Debian Etch, but it seems CentOS5 and Etch
were released at essentially the same time (2007), so I don't see a
reason to go to the trouble of setting up something else.

Thanks,