[tlbuild] Raspbian

simon at getthingsfixed.co.uk simon at getthingsfixed.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 07:47:23 CEST 2012

Boris,

On Thursday 25 October 2012 02:04:53 Boris Veytsman wrote:
> Yesterday I got my raspberry pi in the mail.  I understand that Simon
> now works on the official port of TL for Raspbian, right?  I have a
> question for him - and maybe for other people on the list.
>
> The question is, how can we determine raspbian in platform.sh?  Uname
> gives us
>
>     boris at raspberrypi ~ $ uname -a
>     Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #160 PREEMPT Mon Sep 17 23:18:42 BST 2012
> armv6l GNU/Linux

This is one of the mysteries of our time. All I did was run ./Build on my
raspian distro, so I had some bins, then shared them with all and sundry via
Karl.

Bottom line is that I don't know. I had hoped that a clever person would come
out of the woodwork to save us.

> Now armv6l is the platform.  The problem is, it seems that uname does
> not tell us about the main difference between raspbian and other arm
> os'es: the use of the fpu unit in their libc.
>
> I understand there are devices with armv6l architecture that do not
> use fpu - like raspberry pi with "Soft Wheezy" installed.  I think
> armv7l binaries work for these devices.  Therefore I would suggest
> making platform.sh put armv7l on all arm* devices - but what can we do
> with raspbian?

If we are going to softfloat then I suspect that the integer only parts of v7
and v6 are the same (prompt, prompt).

What we do need to work on is a way of telling hf from sf else the install
script will supply the wrong binaries.

How we do this will take a bit of thought and digging.

Ideas?

--
Get Things Fixed