[tlbuild] xetex on sparc-solaris dumps core using opentype fonts

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 16:15:54 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:53 AM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com> wrote:

> There's also been a report of a crash in a similar place on MacOSX-PPC with the 2011 build, and this may be the same issue -- I suspect an endian-ness error, as the two crashing platforms are both big-endian, whereas no problems have been reported on little-endian machines.
>
> Did the 2010 build run correctly on sparc-solaris? I'm guessing some build-related change may have led to an endian-ness macro not being defined properly somewhere, as the actual code where this crash occurs hasn't been touched, AFAIK.
>
> JK

2010 xetex works, so your guess could well be correct:

$ xetex x-story
This is XeTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.4 (TeX Live 2010)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./x-story.tex [1] )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on x-story.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on x-story.log.

> On 16 Jun 2011, at 14:37, Vladimir Volovich wrote:
>
>>> I see full debugging info present in George's report, which means that
>>> he was using non-stripped binaries, i.e. he likely compiled himself,
>>> because i've stripped the binaries which i've built on Solaris 8, and
>>> they don't contain debugging info.
>>
>> actually i didn't notice that his debugging output only contained
>> function names, so it's possible that he was using the same binaries as in svn.
>>
>> Best,
>> v.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia