[tlbuild] starting builds (kfreebsd-amd64)

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Mon May 9 18:52:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, 9 May 2011, Alan Braslau wrote:

>> ...  I'll try to do this today or tomorrow.

Hi Alan,

now done (r22373), so you should update your copy.

> The problem seems not to be with the symbolic link, but rather
> with the creation of icudt46l_dat.o
> $ file icudt46l_dat.o
> icudt46l_dat.o: ELF 32-bit MSB (SYSV)
> which seems wrong.

I would think for kfreebsd-amd64 this should be something like
   ELF 64-bit LSB relocatable

Can you trace where this icudt46l_dat.o comes from?

> $ nm -s icudt46l_dat.o
> nm: icudt46l_dat.o: File format not recognized

No idea what causes this problem; here a few possible causes:

Do you have installed icu libraries on that system?

And if so, what is the default search order of the linker? (1) first a
shared library in all possible directories, and then a static one or (2) in
each directory first a shared and then a static library?  In case the
default is (1) is there a linker option to enforce (2)?

Could you try to build the ICU libraries from the ICU-4.6 distribution as,
i.e., http://download.icu-project.org/files/icu4c/4.6/icu4c-4_6-src.tgz.

Regards
Peter