[tlbuild] Building texlive in ARM architecture

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue Mar 29 14:52:31 CEST 2011

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Miguel Ángel Caro Bayo wrote:

> I haven't had the time lately to work on this but now I have compiled and
> installed ncurses from source but texlive still cannot find them. I guess
> this is because they are not in a default directory (I cannot install in
> default on this machine because of storage issues). I expected this already
> so I had created symlinks in what I assumed were the directories where
> texlive would be looking for ncurses libs and headers, but still no luck.
> Could you tell me how I can check where the texlive build is looking for
> these files and which files it is looking for so I can place appropriate
> symlinks? Or even better, is it possible to specify during the build where
> texlive should be looking for those files?

Hi Miguel,

(1) you could try to skip building dialog by using configure with the option
'--disable-dialog' (see README.config) or equivalently (assuming sh syntax)
   TL_CONFIGURE_ARGS='--disable-dialog' ./Build

(2) dialog as used in texlive is the original distribution obtained
from ftp://invisible-island.net/dialog/dialog.tar.gz.  So once you can build
that one, building dialog as part of TL should no longer be a problem.

(3) as far as I can see the dialog configure script tries to
   #include <ncursesw/ncurses.h>
or
   #include <ncurses/ncurses.h>
or
   #include <ncurses/curses.h>
or
   #include <ncurses.h>
or
   #include <curses.h>

Thus I assume you have to pass CPPFLAGS=-I<some_dir> to configure, no need
for fancy symlinks.  Of course, you may then also need LDFLAGS=-L<some_dir>

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>