[tlbuild] "dvi2tty" test failure

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Thu Jan 27 12:21:33 CET 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> /bin/sh --version
> GNU bash, version 4.1.7(2)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)

Hi Reinhard,

so this is definitely not the cause.

> I must admit that I don't understand your test.  When I compare the
> output of dvi2tty with the source file test.tex, I see that the
> verbatim parts are identical, isn't this what you expect?
>
> In other words, I don't understand test.tty.  Is this file wrong?

It took me some time to understand what happens: depending on commandline
switches -- including those from $DVI2TTY -- the program sets scascii,
latin1, and allchar, and depending on the current font sets ttfont to
TRUE/FALSE.  In normchar(), dvistuff.c l.1073ff, a character ch is either
kept if allchar||ttfont is TRUE, or otherwise translated (in some strange
way).  Thus for practical purposes 'export DVI2TTY=c' might be extremely
useful, but the test is supposed to perform these translations.

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>