[tlbuild] Configure issues with texlive-20091107

Angel Tsankov fn42551 at fmi.uni-sofia.bg
Fri Jan 8 22:59:28 CET 2010

Peter Breitenlohner wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Angel Tsankov wrote:
>> Norbert Preining wrote:
>
> /usr/bin/man is just a symlink to the actual directory (for the benefit of
> some systems using it for their MANPATH).

It's very strange, that mandir is defined to be ${prefix}/bin/man.
I thought TL was trying to install the man program as ${prefix}/bin/man.

> At the moment there is no way to
> supress this,

This is finally an answer.

> but being just a link, why not remove it (also see below).

Well, I'm using package users and that would require changing the owner
of /usr/bin/man which is ugly.

>>> Why don't you build as usual, and then only move the stuff to the
>>> place where you need the things?
>>>
>> 'Cause specifying several options to configure (respectively to Build)
>> is easier to do and is more 'portable' across TL releases than moving
>> dozens of files around when the build has finished.
>
> You can certainly specify --mandir=<whatever>, preferably relative to
> ${prefix}.

Last time I configured TL like this: ./configure --prefix=/usr
--mandir=/usr/share/man --disable-native-texlive-build

and then like this:

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-native-texlive-build
--mandir=/usr/share/man

but neither of these helped.

Regards,
Angel Tsankov