[tlbuild] Testing cxx-runtime-hack -- V 1.1.1 (Was: V 1.1)

Peter Breitenlohner peb at mppmu.mpg.de
Tue Jan 27 10:53:10 CET 2009

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Karl Berry wrote:

>    Just using <iostream> ought to be OK.
>
> I agree.  Because, as you and I both find in grepping the source tree,
> we are unconditionally using it in various places places already.
> So we can forget <iostream.h>, as far as I can tell.
>
> Yesterday I changed the runtime_hack macro in web2c/configure.in to use
> 	#include <iostream>
> 	using namespace std;
>
> I know it'll change again (more significantly) when we integrate your
> work, but I didn't want to forget about it in the meantime.

Hi Karl,

a related issue:

right now, in cxx-test-1.1.1, I have more or less copied your test and
wrapped it into an M4 macro.  Do we really need to run the test program
(analogous to AC_RUN_IFELSE) thereby causing cross-compilation problems?
Wouldn't it suffice to just link (AC_LINK_IFELSE)?

And a related question:

How are the win32 binaries built? with 'gcc -mno-cygwin' or with a MS
compiler? DO they use the cxx-runtime-hack?

Regards
Peter Breitenlohner <peb at mppmu.mpg.de>