[texworks] How to add own entries to Hunspell dictionary (maybe Mac only)

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 18:50:45 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 2012-04-13 20:33, Johannes Knaus wrote:
> I don't know if this affects only Macs.

I think it affects all systems.

> I managed to get spell checking to work on my Snow-Leopard-Mac by copying the appropriate hunspell dictionaries (.aff and .dic-files) to ~/Library/Texworks/dictionaries.
> So far so good, but sometimes, I discover correctly spelled words are underlined red. These are obviously not in the dictionary. But how can I add them? When I right-click (or Ctrl-Click for Mac-traditionalists) the word I get some wrong suggestions and the possibility to ignore this word (if it's just this or all words like this in the whole text I don't know). But crucially I have no option to add that word to the dictionary.
>
> How can one achieve this? Or does "ignore the word" imply for "all future texts" here?

"Ignore" implies "all future texts until TeXworks is closed", i.e., it
is not persistent across sessions. To achieve that, there currently is
no simple way, but AFAIK it is possible. The .dic files are simple text
files that contain a list of words (FWIW, the .aff files are grammar
files). So it should be enough to manually add the words you want
"permanently ignored" to the .dic file. Hunspell (the spellchecking
library) offers some more possibilities, I think, but I'm no expert on
that - you can find the hunspell manuals at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hunspell/files/Hunspell/Documentation/.

HTH