[texworks] Typesetting paths

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Nov 18 11:34:40 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Charlie Sharpsteen
<chuck at sharpsteen.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Jérome Laurens
> <jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the upper part of the Preferences -> Typesetting pane,
>> you can set up the path to the binary tools for typesetting.
>>
>> On mac os x, the standard path for tex related binary tools is /usr/texbin
>> which is a soft link that points to the actual tex distribution.
>> Based on this soft link, there is a very user friendly mechanism that helps people
>> managing their tex distributions.
>>
>> In texworks, if we add this path using the + button,
>> the soft link is resolved and only the destination is recorded,
>> such that /usr/texbin cannot be added to the list.
>> This breaks the default management of tex distributions on os x
>> and forces everyone to update texworks by hand when the distribution updates.
>>
>> JL
>
> I cannot reproduce this behavior. If I typeset a document with MacTeX
> 2011 installed, I get:

Ahh, apologies. I see the problem now. If you accidentally deleted
`/usr/texbin` from the list of search paths, there is no way to
properly add it back using the '+' button. I will look into fixing
this.

For now, there is a command-line workaround if you removed
'/usr/texbin' for some reason and want to add it back:

  defaults write org.tug.TeXworks binaryPaths -array-add '/usr/texbin'

You will need to restart TeXworks for that change to have an effect.

-Charlie