[texworks] Typesetting paths

Charlie Sharpsteen chuck at sharpsteen.net
Fri Nov 18 11:24:55 CET 2011

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:58 AM, Jérome Laurens
<jerome.laurens at u-bourgogne.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the upper part of the Preferences -> Typesetting pane,
> you can set up the path to the binary tools for typesetting.
>
> On mac os x, the standard path for tex related binary tools is /usr/texbin
> which is a soft link that points to the actual tex distribution.
> Based on this soft link, there is a very user friendly mechanism that helps people
> managing their tex distributions.
>
> In texworks, if we add this path using the + button,
> the soft link is resolved and only the destination is recorded,
> such that /usr/texbin cannot be added to the list.
> This breaks the default management of tex distributions on os x
> and forces everyone to update texworks by hand when the distribution updates.
>
> JL

I cannot reproduce this behavior. If I typeset a document with MacTeX
2011 installed, I get:

  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.3-1.40.12 (TeX Live 2011)

If I then open System Preferences -> TeX Distribution and switch back
to MacTeX 2010, I get:

  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-1.40.11 (TeX Live 2010)

I don't even have to restart TeXworks---it just picks up that the
symlinks have been shifted.

-Charlie