[texworks] Wishlist for pdf previewer

Paul A Norman paul.a.norman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 02:09:36 CEST 2011

Ok,

I think I worked it out.

It only happens with one of our current projects.

Due to our old versioning system, I had placed this at the top of the only
.tex file in that project when first being written:
& -job-name=These-Fair-Isles

... So that the document version number did not appear in the current .pdf
name

But now for some time since we changed our versioning method it has been
written as
%& -job-name=These-Fair-Isles

But that meant that as MiKTeX had thrown out the first .pdf made under it
as

  These-Fair-Isles.pdf

Then later I had changed the .tex header to
%& -job-name=These-Fair-Isles

So now the actual .tex name is used to determine the .pdf name when typeset.

The .tex file name is:
   These-fair-Isles.tex

Lower case on f in: Fair

And you can guess the rest.
Windows OS doesn't distinguish between these names and of course there is
only one .pdf present in the directory.

These-fair-Isles.pdf
These-Fair-Isles.pdf

(Emphasizing: that there is of course only one .pdf in the directory:
These-Fair-Isles.pdf)

And now as the -job-name is commented out, MiKTeX under Windows, keeps
typesetting out These-fair-Isles.tex to the first established name on disk:
 These-Fair-Isles.pdf

So when I open These-Fair-Isles.pdf directly from the Files/Open Recent
sub-menu
it opens, then when I click-sync  These-fair-Isles.tex opens in an editor
window, but when I click-sync in These-fair-Isles.tex
Tw being case sensitive at core on file names(?) thinks that the appropriate
.pdf is not active and asks the OS for  These-fair-Isles.pdf

The OS presents a new copy of These-Fair-Isles.pdf but
syncs successfully both into it, and the first manually opened copy -- that
is the strange part - successfully syncing onto both open copies but I can
sort of see how that might happen.

Write up a bug?

Paul