[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 fails to identify installation directory correctly

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 26 00:13:29 CEST 2011

On 25 August 2011 07:56, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd)
<chaa006 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I found (as I hoped) a new version od TeXworks at
>
>        http://www.tug.org/texworks/
>
> (my present version, 0.4.0, appeared to have serious bugs
> in the search-and-replace code), but on downloading the
> Windows installer and running it, it fails to correctly
> identify the installation directory.  At the moment,
> 0.4.0 is installed in :
>
>        E:\TeX\Live\2010\bin\win32
>
> but the 0.4.3 installer failed to detect this, and
> proposes instead to install in :
>
>        C:\Program Files\TeXworks
>
> I would have expected the installer to correctly identify
> the location for a previous install.

Why should it?  It's not part of TeX Live, it's a standalone installer
to install TeXworks independent of TeX distribution.  Why don't you
just 'tlmgr update texworks'?  TW 0.4.3 is already in TL.

2011/8/25 Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Ah, yes, thank you Akira : I completely overlooked that.
> I have now relocated all the TeXworks-related stuff from
>
>        E:/TeX\Live/2010/bin/win32

>        e:/TeX/Live/2010/tlpkg/texworks

It's a sure way to shoot yourself in the foot...

> but of course I have lost the wrapper file in the process,
> which was overwritten by TeXworks.exe.

Fortunately, you can recover with

  tlmgr install --reinstall texworks

Cheers,