[texworks] TeXworks 0.4.3 fails to identify installation directory correctly

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Fri Aug 26 01:12:48 CEST 2011

T T wrote:

>> I would have expected the installer to correctly identify
>> the location for a previous install.
>
> Why should it?  It's not part of TeX Live, it's a standalone installer
> to install TeXworks independent of TeX distribution.

Well, most installers seem to correctly identify the installation
location of previous installations, regardless of how they got
there, presumably by inspecting the relevant parts of the registry.
I had no reason to expect that this would not be the case for
TeXworks.

> Why don't you
> just 'tlmgr update texworks'?  TW 0.4.3 is already in TL.

My understanding (which is frequently wrong) is that TeX Live
updates do not include binaries; was I wrong in this respect ?

Philip Taylor