[texworks] Unwanted side-effect of <tab> : how to avoid ?

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jun 14 12:33:57 CEST 2011

Stefan Löffler wrote:

> ah, sorry. It's "download from somewhere else", namely
> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/downloads/list where all the Tw
> binaries (for Windows, anyway) are uploaded. Arguably, frequent changes
> only happen to "experimental" builds, but in the phase we're in right
> now these are (almost) as stable as the "stable" releases. TL only takes
> stable releases, AFAIK (and doesn't upgrade them - but then again, all
> Tw stable releases have been made just in time for a new TL release so
> far ;)). CTAN doesn't host Tw, I think (or if it does, this is
> maintained by someone else).

OK, understood.  Unfortunately now a supplementary -- I have downloaded
TeXworks-w32-0.5-r844.zip and unzipped it using Filzip, but the
paths in it don't match a TeX Live 2010 configuration.  Under TL 2010,
the binaries (such as TeXworks.exe) would be found in .../bin/win32/,
but there are no subdirectories under .../bin/win32/ so I do not
know where to place the four directories found in the ZIP file :
"fonts", "Lib", "poppler-data" and "texworks-help", nor am I sure
if "python27.dll" should also go in .../bin/win32/  Obviously
this is a generic packaging, not one tailored for TeX Live, but
I wonder where the elements other than the executable image
are intended to go ?  The "README.txt" gives generic advice
("Just extract the contents of the Zip file wherever you want
and then run the extracted TeXworks.exe.") but really I'd like
to put them where TeX Live would have put them during a normal
install.

>> ** Phil (who recently removed all but "basic" from his "completion"
>> folder and now has a TeXworks that doesn't manifest the previous
>> odd behaviour).
>
> This is easily explainable: the basic scheme only includes stuff like
> greek characters, but no environments, so all the "{" business is bypassed.

Yes, I was really saying how happy I was :-)  (Until I looked into the
"basic" set, and saw that if I used a tab after certain control
sequences they would mysteriously mutate into something apparently
unrelated, at which point I deleted the basic set too !).