[texworks] Unwanted side-effect of <tab> : how to avoid ?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 15:26:38 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 2011-06-14 12:33, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> Stefan Löffler wrote:
>
>> ah, sorry. It's "download from somewhere else", namely
>> http://code.google.com/p/texworks/downloads/list where all the Tw
>> binaries (for Windows, anyway) are uploaded. Arguably, frequent changes
>> only happen to "experimental" builds, but in the phase we're in right
>> now these are (almost) as stable as the "stable" releases. TL only takes
>> stable releases, AFAIK (and doesn't upgrade them - but then again, all
>> Tw stable releases have been made just in time for a new TL release so
>> far ;)). CTAN doesn't host Tw, I think (or if it does, this is
>> maintained by someone else).
>
> OK, understood.  Unfortunately now a supplementary -- I have downloaded
> TeXworks-w32-0.5-r844.zip and unzipped it using Filzip, but the
> paths in it don't match a TeX Live 2010 configuration.  Under TL 2010,
> the binaries (such as TeXworks.exe) would be found in .../bin/win32/,
> but there are no subdirectories under .../bin/win32/ so I do not
> know where to place the four directories found in the ZIP file :
> "fonts", "Lib", "poppler-data" and "texworks-help", nor am I sure
> if "python27.dll" should also go in .../bin/win32/  Obviously
> this is a generic packaging, not one tailored for TeX Live, but
> I wonder where the elements other than the executable image
> are intended to go ?  The "README.txt" gives generic advice
> ("Just extract the contents of the Zip file wherever you want
> and then run the extracted TeXworks.exe.") but really I'd like
> to put them where TeX Live would have put them during a normal
> install.

I had hoped that someone from the TL team would answer this question,
but they are probably busy with the upcoming release.
Anyway, I don't know how exactly things have been modified for TL, but
chances are that it is sufficient to replace only the .exe in your case
(there haven't been any changes to supplementary files, IIRC).
Alternatively, you should be fine putting the whole content of the
archive in some folder that is not in TL / the texmf tree and update
your shortcuts (i.e., multiple instances of Tw should be able to run in
parallel; very old versions may not work correctly with all settings,
though).

But on the other hand, you've deleted all autocompletion files now,
anyway, so there's not that much point in putting too much effort into
replacing the Tw executable. Plus, with TL'11 due soon, you'll get the
latest updates, anyway :).

HTH