[texworks] Qt > 4.3 advantages?

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 12:33:52 CET 2009

Hi Peter,

On 2009-12-20 12:20, Peter Wüsten wrote:
> I'm using TeXworks on Ubuntu Intrepid and frequently compile new
> revisions with Qt 4.3 (which is what Intrepid's repositories supply).
> Is there any functionality in TeXworks that requires Qt > 4.3? I mean,
> the latest version compiles nicely with Qt 4.3, but I wonder if I'm
> missing any hidden gems.

Not really hidden gems. Most stuff is designed to run on Qt >= 4.3, only
a few things are not available there.

These are the files that include the QT_VERSION macro for handling
version-specific issues:
$> grep -rl 'QT_VERSION' src/*
src/FindDialog.cpp
src/PrefsDialog.cpp
src/TeXDocument.cpp
src/TeXHighlighter.cpp
src/TWScriptable.cpp

It seems that you're missing the following things:
1) Nicer truncation at appropriate boundaries of overlong search result
strings (requires 4.4)
2) The script debugger (requires 4.5)
3) Some improvements related to the update of QTextBlock; all the
functionality is there, but it may be slower/less efficient with Qt 4.3
(requires 4.4)
4) Dynamic updating of tags (?). I'm not quite sure if/how this works
with Qt 4.3, I just speculate from a quick glance at TeXHighlighter.cpp
(requires 4.4)

HTH