[texworks] Building TeXworks on Windows using MinGW

Stefan Löffler st.loeffler at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 09:54:34 CEST 2009

Hi,

On 2009-06-12 21:37, Alain Delmotte wrote:
> I did install everything.
>
> Compiling hunspell went, I think, well; but there were warnings!

Warnings are OK ;). You should end up with
C:\texworks\hunspell-1.2.8\src\hunspell\.libs\libhunspell-1.2.a

> For texworks, after modifying texworks.pro, qmake created 3 files:
> Makefile, Makefile.Release and Makefile.debug

That's fine, too. It's the way mingw32-make works. There are a few
things I noticed/would suggest:
1) I missed a few changes that didn't fit the guide (they came from my
local installation, which doesn't quite conform to my guide ;)). The
three lines in TeXworks.pro should read
    INCLUDEPATH += C:/KDE/include/poppler/qt4
    INCLUDEPATH += C:/texworks/hunspell-1.2.8/src/hunspell
    LIBS += -LC:/texworks/hunspell-1.2.8/src/hunspell/.libs
unless you changed the directory yourself. This probably isn't the cause
for the problems here, but would create new ones later.

2) In the error message, it says "/c/texworks/texworks". Normally, I'd
expect it to be "/c/texworks/texworks-read-only". Can you confirm this
and what's your path to TW?

3) The error message "/c/texworks/texworks" suggests that you tried to
run either qmake or mingw32-make (or both) from inside MSYS, which you
shouldn't. Is that right? (I think this line should read something like
"C:/texworks/texworks-read-only"

4) What path does "qmake --version" give you? Is it the correct path to
your MinGW KDE libs (if it's not, you probably have to adjust your PATH
and/or KDELIBS environmental variables as documented on the KDE on
Windows page which is linked from the wiki).

> mingw32-make stopped with an error:
> C:\texworks\texworks>mingw32-make
> mingw32-make -f Makefile.Release
> mingw32-make[1]: Entering directory `/c/texworks/texworks'
> Makefile.Release:115: *** missing separator.  Stop.
> mingw32-make[1]: Leaving directory `/c/texworks/texworks'
> mingw32-make: *** [release] Error 2
>
> I attach the three makefiles

They do indeed have some subtle differences to the makefiles with which
it worked on my PC. E.g. they have "<<" on the line where the error
occurred, which mine don't. Anyway, we both have the same qmake version
(2.01a) and Qt version (4.4.3), so that shouldn't be the problem.

> The same with the special make from make-3.81-MSYS-1.0.11-2.tar.bz2
> and the make from msys

There are special makes? In any case, I don't remeber installing any
special MSYS make applications, so I recommend not doing that just yet.
This probably just increases the number of potential problems because
then we can have even more programs that get mixed up.