[texhax] Q: bold variables in math mode

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 22:37:28 CEST 2011

Uwe Lueck said the following at 06/01/2011 04:22 AM :
> "D. R. Evans" <doc.evans at gmail.com> wrote 31.05.2011 21:21:34:
>> I need to be able to typeset something like:
>>    A = CM
>> in math mode where A and M are bold, but C is roman.
>>

> *Guessing* from TeXbook pp. 350f.:
>
>     \font\tenbf=ec-lmbx12 at 10.5pt
>
> may suffice if you keep
>
>     \newfam\bffam \def\bf{\fam\bffam\tenbf} \textfont\bffam=\tenbf

I had to add the latter command (I have no idea why), but with both of your
suggestions in the file, it seems to work. Thank you very much.

> (which your results are indicating, otherwise add the latter line).
>
> Cf. TeXbook pp. 153.

Yes, I spent quite a bit of time with the TeXbook before posting here.
Knuth seems (to me) unnecessarily obscure on this point; I couldn't figure
out from his description on that page (and other pages scattered throughout
the book) exactly how this all works. I'm sure it's all in there, but I
couldn't synthesize the scattered information into a coherent mental model.

  Doc

--
Web:  http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR