[texhax] Optional argument to \cite{}

Dan vi5u0-texhax at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 13 16:02:29 CEST 2010

Dear All,

Let's say I have a document of the article documentclass, with nothing
tricksy like natbib in use.  I want to cite several sources that all
say roughly the same thing:

The output is something like [1,2,3,4,5].  But Phillips:2009:GFD is a
bit on the long side, so I want to help out my readers by giving page

The output is something like [1,2,3,4,5, pp. 171-175].  So far so
good.  But actually, Joseph:1976:SFMb is quite long too, and I want to
give page numbers with that.  The optional argument to \cite{} won't
put page numbers after the penultimate reference in the list.  So I
have to split up the \cite{} command:

The output is something like [1,2,3,4, pp. 62-104]; [5, pp. 171-175].  This
seems rather clumsy.  What do folks suggest, please?