[texhax] TeX books, was Re: question about \if

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Dec 4 22:15:20 CET 2010

Victor Ivrii wrote:

 > This opens the door to the short proofs with sentences like "easy
 > details are left to the reader" with expandable "details" in turn
 > containing "details for not so intelligent readers" and then "details
 > for dump readers". The short proof is written then by the prominent
 > member of Academia, and different levels of details are filled by
 > assistants, graduate and undergraduate students, family members and
 > pets.

Reminds me of an apocryphal story concerning mathematicians :

"All mathematicians are liars."
"Why do you say that ?".
"Because all of them, without exception, have written,
  at least once in their lives, 'It therefore immediately
  follows that ...', whereas in reality it does no such thing !".

** P.