[texhax] LaTeX, Webpages, and PDF files

Deyan Ginev d.ginev at jacobs-university.de
Fri Aug 20 00:18:17 CEST 2010

Hi Tom,

There are a lot of answers to your question, as there are different
applications trying to get the job done in a LaTeX to webpage
conversion. Some examples:

1. The Digital Library of Mathematical Functions
(http://dlmf.nist.gov/), a complete revision of Abramowitz and Stegun’s
Handbook of Mathematical Functions, is written entirely in LaTeX and
converted to XHTML+MathML via LaTeXML (http://dlmf.nist.gov/LaTeXML/).

2. Zentralblatt Math (http://www.zentralblatt-math.org/zmath/en/) offers
partial support for "webified" formulas via MathML, produced via Tralics
(http://www-sop.inria.fr/miaou/tralics/)

3. Many authors rely on the more classical, yet more complete in support
tools, namely latex2html (http://www.latex2html.org/) and tex4ht
(http://tug.org/applications/tex4ht/).

So, what you choose for converting your LaTeX document to a webpage
depends on what your particular needs are. Now, I am personally slightly
biased towards LaTeXML, so I won't try to push my own preferences, but I
would definitely recommend it ;-)

If I understand correctly your second question, you are asking if you
can require a compile-to-pdf invocation whenever someone downloads a
file? Why not keep a static PDF and rerun LaTeX and your choice of a
LaTeX-to-Web software when you update the file? You can write a simple
Makefile that does that for you in principle.

Cheers,
Deyan