[texhax] include graphicx

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Wed Oct 18 23:49:47 CEST 2006

Hi Yuri,

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 01:24:56AM +0200, Yuri Robbers wrote:

>>what results is a blank space of the expected size of the
>>graphic,
>

>This is the bit I can't explain yet.

That problem is gone and I've not tried to reproduce it. ;-)

>>I've tried using "img2eps network-plan.png" and
>>\includegraphics{network-plan.eps}
>>
>>resulting in
>>
>>! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .eps.
>>
>>which I find odd given what I've read about graphicx.  When I
>>use /usepackage[draft]{graphicx} with the png file, I get a
>>rectangle with the file name in it, as expected.
>

>This, combined with the bit above gives me the impression you're using
>pdflatex. Regular LaTeX doesn't understand  .png (but you didn't get such an
>unknown graphics extension, so I don't think you used regular LaTeX there).
>
>Pdflatex, on the other hand, does not understand .eps files, so that would
>explain your error message.

Well this snipit from my makefile explains what I'm doing...
All works now.

each-format :
        $(MAKE) clean
        for n in $(tex_docs); do latex $${n}.tex ; done
        for n in $(tex_docs); do latex $${n}.tex ; done # second time for page references
        mkdir -p pdf
        for n in $(tex_docs); do pdflatex -output-directory pdf $${n}.tex ; done
        for n in $(tex_docs); do rm -rf html/$${n} ; mkdir -p html/$${n} ; \
                        tex_doc_rename="$$(echo $${n} | sed 's/\./-/g')-tmp.tex" ; \
                        ln -sf $${n}.tex $${tex_doc_rename} ; \
                        latex2html ${tex2html_opts} \
                        -dir html/$${n} $${tex_doc_rename} ; \
                        rm $${tex_doc_rename} ; done
        mkdir -p txt
        #for n in $(tex_docs); do lynx -dump html/$${n}/$${n}.html >txt/$${n}.txt ; done
        $(MAKE) clean
        ${noerr}

I'm using latex to generate the page references (not sure if I'll
ever use the dvi files) so I need eps, then I use pdflatex for my
main output, so I need png (or other).

My errors where probably with different commands at different
times.  Just seemed like a "tex" problem.  At least I don't need
to change the source tex (ie modify the extension) for each
rendering program. :)

...oh good. I remove the "latex" commands all-together and add a
second pdflatex invocation and I get proper page references and
only require png. Nice and simple. :)

BTW the funny tex_doc_rename is because latex2html won't process
filenames with multiple periods in them (which I require), it says

 Cannot have '.' in file-name prefix, else dvips fails on images

Next step, is there a way to put the png images inline with the
html output?

Thanks,
// George