[texhax] a problem with my gray font.

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Oct 13 22:12:43 CEST 2006

Hi Randy,

    C:\PROGRA~1\ProText\TeXMF\miktex\bin\makepk.exe --verbose gray 600 600
    magstep(0.0) ljfour

The problem is the "ljfour" in this invocation, specifying the 600dpi
laserjet 4.  Somehow, it needs to be changed to "cx".  This is same sort
of "mode" setting which you already made, but there must be somewhere
else to set it.  Sorry, I don't know where.  Maybe try writing the
miktex mailing list (see miktex.org)?

    The problem I think is that I don't know how to generate this file:
      .\fonts\pk\jetiiisi\public\misc\dpi300\gray.pk.

Meanwhile, you can generate the file by hand by running metafont as
follows:

mf \mode:=cx; \mag:=magstep(0.0);nonstopmode;input gray

I don't know what quoting you will need for Windows.  Maybe:
mf '\mode:=cx; \mag:=magstep(0.0);nonstopmode;input gray'

The result should be gray.300gf.  Then run
gftopk gray.300gf

And you should have gray.300pk.  Move that to your needed path
.\fonts\pk\jetiiisi\public\misc\dpi300\gray.pk

(The differences between the cx and jetiiisi modes are inconsequential
in this case, and would lead us still further afield.)

    TeX and METAFONT and I wonder if there are any jobs out there

I really doubt it :(.

Best regards,
Karl