[texhax] Hebrew TeX

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Thu Aug 3 01:31:55 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, Joshua Grauman wrote:

> I'm new to TeX and have a few questions about getting Hebrew to work.
> I've been doing research/testing and these are the things I need to work. I'd
> appreciate help to find out what is the easiest way to get a TeX system that
> supports all of these.

If you have not committed yourself to latex, you can have a look at

See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Aleph and

> 2) Unicode/UTF-8

Context has full unicode support

> 3) True Type Fonts (I would like to use SIL's Ezra unicode Hebrew font,
>    but am open to other good, free unicode fonts)

Don't know about that.

> 4) Memoir class (I need paragraph footnotes)

Context also supports that.

> I currently have teTeX 3.0 which came with my Slackware 10.2 distribution.
> However, I don't believe babel in it has Hebrew support, and I can't seem to
> get Hebrew support added...

You can update the context that comes with tetex, see

If you want more details before you switch, you can ask on the context
mailing list http://wiki.contextgarden.net/ConTeXt_Mailing_Lists