[texhax] Nesting \include 's

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 28 14:38:16 CEST 2004

> I just came across with this error:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: \include cannot be nested.
>
> Which probably means what it says.
>
> My question is: is there any way of nesting \include 's, or only one
> level of \include 's is possible?

\include is there for selective compilation; with \includeonly, you
can run your job that has several chapters, focusing only on the
chapter you're interested in.

doing the same in a nested fashion would require more mechanism than
the original designer of latex thought worth doing.  (note: the
original design blithely did nested \include commands, but downgraded
the nested commands to \input commands, with no diagnostic.)

you probably meant to use \input, on the nested instances, at least.