[tex-live] Windows symlinks (was: Re: Bugs in install-tl for win32)

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Sat Jun 28 13:28:53 CEST 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:07:34AM +0100, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
> P.S. I believe that Win32 /does/ understand symbolic links, although
> it terms them "reparse points" and/or "junction points"; see KB articles
>
>     http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365503(VS.85).aspx
>     http://support.microsoft.com/kb/205524
>
> and
>
>     http://www.flexhex.com/docs/articles/hard-links.phtml
>     http://www.hanselman.com/blog/MoreOnVistaReparsePoints.aspx
>
> for more details.  I have used them with great success.
>
> ** Phil.

I got the impression that only Vista implemented symlinks properly,
but only for ntfs.  Earlier Windows versions do have reparse points
and junction points, but using the within TeXLive looks like more
trouble than it is worth. E.g. under w2k, the tools for working with
them aren't part of the default install.

--
Siep Kroonenberg