[tex-live] TeX Live 2008 testing - problems downloading

Sandy Nicholson sandy at ambertext.co.uk
Fri Jun 27 13:06:47 CEST 2008

Hello

I thought I'd try out the TeX Live 2008 test release, as I'm quite
keen to get up to speed with some of the newer stuff (particularly
LuaTeX) before I run a pilot TeX workshop in September. However, I
have had problems getting hold of the release.

I downloaded the bootstrap installer, but when I ran install-tl, the
furthest the download/installation process got was adrconv. Earlier,
it didn't get that far, but it consistently falls over there now when
downloading from my local mirror (I'm in the UK). I also tried

   install-tl -url ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/tldev

with slightly greater success: it got as far as bin-context on one
run. Unfortunately the process isn't (as far as I know) resumable, so
I have to start from scratch each time. Is this a temporary problem
with server loads, or is there anything else I can try?

Incidentally, in case it's relevant, I'm doing this on an Intel Mac,
and the only customisation I did each time was to set the TEXMFHOME
directory to ~/Library/texmf (for consistency with the MacTeX 2007
distribution).

Thanks for your help.

Best wishes
Sandy Nicholson

Ambertext, 2/Gf Bruntsfield Crescent, Edinburgh EH10 4EZ, Scotland
+44 (0) 131 447 9257  http://www.ambertext.co.uk/  sandy at ambertext.co.uk
Sole proprietor: Alexander J Nicholson