[tex-live] searching in tlmgrgui

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Jun 1 14:56:59 CEST 2008

Hi Werner,

On So, 01 Jun 2008, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> search expression.  I consider this not optimal.  Either add a `back'
> button, or `next' wraps searching and starts again from the beginning.

Ok, will do that soon.

> Another nit: After entering a search string, pressing the enter key
> does nothing.  I suggest to map it to the `next' action.

Enter is not necessary, it automatically goes to the first matching
entry. THe next is only necessary if you want to search another item. So
mapping Enter to Next is not good because some people will type in a
search term, then press enter, and would end up in the second match.

> Finally, clicking on the `toggle' key of `Configuration->Create
> formats on installation', I get the following error message on the
> console:
>
>   Tk::Error: Cannot open
>     /usr/local/backup/TeXLive/Master/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
>   for writing: Permission denied at
>     /usr/local/backup/TeXLive/Master/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLPDB.pm line 278,
>     <TMP> line 100221.

Yes. These options are saved in the texlive.tlpdb. And your copy is (as
you told me) read-only. No surprise ;-)

> (this directory is write protected on my GNU/Linux box).  Maybe a
> better action is to either offer to store a configuration file in the
> user's home directory or to pop up a window which tells the user that
> the configuration settings can't be stored.

These settings are per-installation and are saved in texlive.tlpdb,
there is (and will not be) another file.

Popping up a info box might be useful.

Best wishes

Norbert