[tex-live] Fwd: Polish TexLive Stuff

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 15 19:59:46 CET 2006

> Hi,
>
> I saw your name as the creator of the Polish hyphenation file in
> TeXLive, so
> I'm hoping that you can help me (or direct me to the person who can)...
yes. I am copying this to the TeX Live list, which is the right
forum to discuss this.

> I'm working on Ubuntu Bug #61914
> (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/texlive-lang/+bug/61914),
> which
> is that texlive-lang-polish conflicts with octave-forge and/or MATLAB.
> The
> problem is that texlive-lang-polish and MATLAB both try to install a file
> named /usr/bin/mex.
oh dear. thats unfortunate...

> Since TeXLive's version of /usr/bin/mex is simply a symlink to
> pdfetex, can
> we
> just get rid of the symlink and update other code to call pdfetex
> instead of
> mex?
not straightforwardly, because TeX uses the name
by which the program is called to decide which TeX format
file to use, and how to set TeX paths. So if you call pdfetex
as "mex", it searches some extra directory trees, with
polish-specific stuff.

there are three choices

 1. the Poles yield, and call "mex" something like "polishtex"
 2. Matlab yields (when did it add "mex" to its repertoire?)
 3. the texlive-lang-polish package is marked as being in conflict with
Matlab

does anyone in TeXlive-world have opinions on this?

Sebastian