[tex-eplain] pdftex vs. `dvips -> ps2pdf': hyperlinks

Rodolfo Medina rodolfo.medina at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 13:02:25 CEST 2016

Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> writes:

> If, when the time comes, you rather I look at the positioning problem
> before the "different files" problem, that's fine.

Thanks.  Yes, this is the case.  Some years ago, thanks to the help from
tex-eplain mailing list, I studied and solved the problem of cross-reference
hyperlinks between different files.  It's only that those macros are naive and
maybe redundant and should be reviewed, and I'm going to do that, but they
work, I've been using them for years.

> Please send me an example of the positioning problem, and I will insert in my
> queue appropriately :).

Thanks!

> Anyway, hope someone else can work on it sooner ... -k

Difficult.

I'm attaching file.tex and file2.tex.  Process the first one with:

 $ tex file
 $ dvips -z file
 $ ps2pdf file.ps

, and the second with simply `pdftex file2'.  Then do: `xpdf file.pdf' or `xpdf
file2.pdf', go to page 2, enlarge enormously by hitting `+' three times and
click the hyperlink.  You will see the difference between file.pdf and
file2.pdf in accuracy in striking the target.

Thanks, Cheers

Rodolfo