[tex-eplain] Hyperlinks in index, take two

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Aug 3 23:14:49 CEST 2005

    One can argue that
    \idxhl has more to do with index than with hyperlinks.

Yes, that's one argument.  The other argument is that someone who cares
about form X of hyperlinks is likely to also care about form Y (and form
Z and ...).  Making them all start with \hl makes it easier to see all
the hyperlink-related macros and functionality.  I'd prefer to go that
way.

    But if I do change the name of
    \idxhl, then for consistency the following should also
    change, I think:

I agree.

    What I think I should really do is
    start putting some kind of documentation together, this will
    certainly uncover lots of inconsistencies and omissions.

Again, I agree :).

    So I assume it is possible to do direct linking with hyperref.  I
    don't know how they do it, will look into it

I've had a little bit of success at just reading hyperref.dtx (which
made me happy).  If you end up with specific questions, I'm sure Heiko
(Oberdiek, the maintainer nowadays) would be happy to help.

Thanks as always,
Karl