[tex-eplain] Hyperlinks in index, take two

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Wed Aug 3 12:37:04 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 12:44:57AM +0200, Karl Berry wrote:
>     \idxhl
>
> Minor point, maybe \hlidx is a better name? (Make all hyperlink stuff
> start with \hl...?)

That depends on how you look at it :)  One can argue that
\idxhl has more to do with index than with hyperlinks.

For instance, I have options which have direct impact on
hyperlink macros starting with `hl':

  \hltype, \hldesttype, \hloptbstyle, \hldestoptleft,
  \hldestoptzoom, etc.

and hyperlink macros like

  \hlstart, \hlend, \hldest, \hldeston, \hldestoff, etc.

In the mean time, I have options which control hyperlinks
for cross-reference macros, and which start with a name of
that macro (or an abbreviation):

  \bibhldesttype, \lihldesttype, \eqhldestopts,
  \definexrefhldestraise, etc.

But I will do whatever you say is more appropriate, you're
the boss, after all :)  But if I do change the name of
\idxhl, then for consistency the following should also
change, I think:

  \idxhlpage      -> \hlidxpage
  \idxhldestplace -> \hldestidxplace
  \idxhllabel     -> \hlidxlabel
  \idxhlpagelabel -> \hlidxpagelabel

and some internal macros with `@', but the internal macros
are not so critical.  What I think I should really do is
start putting some kind of documentation together, this will
certainly uncover lots of inconsistencies and omissions.
What do you say?

> what does LaTeX do?

I have these files on my teTeX which say they were generated
with hyperref:

  $TEXMF/doc/latex/koma-script/scrguien.pdf.gz
  $TEXMF/doc/latex/oberdiek/alphalph.pdf.gz

The first one has index links pointing to a page, and the
second directly to index targets.  So I assume it is
possible to do direct linking with hyperref.  I don't know
how they do it, will look into it (google search didn't help
any).

--
Best regards,
Oleg Katsitadze