[protext] Questions

Peter J. Huber peterj.huber at bluewin.ch
Mon Jun 11 18:26:29 CEST 2007

Dear Thomas,
Many thanks for your quick response!
Apparently, I have the version numbers 1 Beta 6.31 ('Firenze')
and MiKTeX 2.4.

You have 2.5 in your example, so I guess these are not the newest
(the www.tug.org/protext/ page from which I downloaded is not
explicit about the version numbers, it has protext.exe and
protext-2.0.exe, both with a 2007 date -- I took the protext.exe).

Contrary to what you  indicate in your message below, LATEX => PS =>
PDF handles *both* eps and jpg!
This is what I need most of the time, so I shall stick to it.

Sincerely,
Peter J. Huber

At 14:53 11.06.2007, Thomas Feuerstack wrote:
>Peter J. Huber schrieb:
>>Two questions:
>>(1) I recently had to re-install ProTeXt (because LaTeX => PS =>
>>PDF no longer worked, registry problem?). How do I find out which
>>software versions of MiKTeX and TeXnic Center I am actually using?
>
>Inside TeXnicCenter, open the ?(Help)-Menue and choose the entry
>'Info about TeXnicCenter'. You'll find the version number at the top
>of the displayed window.
>
>MiKTeX prints out it version number in the first line of its
>log-output. You should see a line like
>
>This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.6-2.2 (MiKTeX 2.5)
>
>While 'Version' describes the state of the used TeX-Version, the
>number insides the paranthesises shows the used MiKTeX-Version.
>
>>(2) Is there any easy way (as in Word) to include different
>>graphics (eps, jpg, tiff, bmp) in a single document?
>
>As Karl has mentionend in hist Mail, this depends on the
>output-direction you've chosen before. If you followed the line
>
>LaTeX -> DVI [-> PS [-> PDF]]
>
>eps is the only graphics format, that will be accepted. Therefore it
>might be better to use PDFLaTeX directly
>
>PDFLaTeX -> PDF
>
>which accepts graphics in pdf, jpg and png-format (unfortunately no
>eps and/or tif).
>
>Sincerely - Thomas Feuerstack

Prof. Dr. Peter J. Huber
P. O. Box 198