[pdftex] Surprising opinion about hz-type features

Johannes Kuester jk at typoma.com
Mon Feb 25 11:40:56 CET 2008

Hi all,

what I don't understand about this discussion is that for hz and
microtype one always refers to Gutenberg -- but there are much better
examples:

Namely in the private presses at the beginning of the 20th century.
For example, the "Bremer Presse" in Germany published in 1925
Augustinus, "De Civitate Dei", Libri XXII.

( A beautiful double page spread from this book is shown in
  Kurt Weidemann,
  "Wo der Buchstabe das Wort führt",
  Cantz-Verlag, 1st ed, 1994,
  pp. 256 / 257. )

For this book, a Venetian Antiqua was specially designed and cut,
with variant glyphs to allow for perfect justification
(samples are shown and some explanation given in Weidemann on p. 255).
Of course, modest glyph scaling as done by microtype achieves just about
the same effect.

And I suppose there are many other wonderful examples from this era.
So there is no need to go back to Gutenberg, who could use other means
as abbreviations and additional ligatures -- means usually not available
in typesetting tasks today.

Regards,

Johannes

--