[pdftex] Surprising opinion about hz-type features

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 10:47:39 CET 2008

Hello Damien,

thanks for bringing the article to discussion here. Here are
my (perhaps biased) opinions:

- the article made objections to some of the points claimed
  by URW, Hermann Zapf and others. I more or less agree with
  the objections in the article.

- however I do not agree with main intention of the article, ie
  to show/prove that glyph scaling leads to reduced quality.
  The objections in the article are not convining enough to
  me. It only showed that there are some inaccuracies in
  what URW/Zapf/Adobe claims. Given the fact that those
  claims are made by the authors of the technique, it's
  quite normal that the effect/usefulness has been
  exaggerated a little bit.

- glyph scaling is only one of the techniques used by
  Gutenberg and the hz-program; it's not meant to be the
  single silver-bullet that would solve the problem with bad
  interword spacing. The hz-program does much more than just
  glyph scaling.

- like other techniques, glyph scaling is also a double
  edged sword: it can help and also hurt. The users should
  be aware of that.

- I use glyph scaling myself and find it useful, especially
  when you want to give a bit more flexibility to paragraph
  formatting and there is no other possibilities to do so.
  The limit I find useful is +/- 2%, but when looking
  closely I can also see the effect of glyph scaling at that
  limit. I guess -1% to +2% is a better choice.

Regards,
Thanh