[pdftex] PdfTeX and SVG graphics

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Sat Nov 13 19:52:45 CET 2004

On Saturday 13 November 2004 11:47, Ben Crowell wrote:
> John Culleton wrote:
> >I am reminded of the old story about the tourist asking for directions
> > from a Vermont farmer. After several false attempts the farmer finally
> > said: "Mister, if I wanted to go there, I sure wouldn't start from
> > here!"
> >
> :-) I can't speak for Wendel, but personally I'm just trying to switch
>
> entirely from proprietary software to open source. SVG is actually the
> format that is *most* widely supported in open-source software; it's
> just that open-source vector graphics software doesn't seem to be very
> mature yet.

I use Metapost which produces EPS.   AFAIK it is vectored and not
bitmapped. But I will check. I also use PSTricks, another TeX related
program.  These are both programs of many years standing, mature and
stable. I am checking on the vector vs. bitmapped question for each.

What kind of graphics are you producing, XY charts, flowcharts, binary
trees, technical diagrams?  Depending on your needs one or the other of
these packages could fit.

--
John Culleton

Short list of publishing/marketing books: