[pdftex] PdfTeX and SVG graphics

Ben Crowell pdftexcrowell04 at lightandmatter.com
Sat Nov 13 17:47:47 CET 2004

John Culleton wrote:
>I am reminded of the old story about the tourist asking for directions from
>a Vermont farmer. After several false attempts the farmer finally said:
>"Mister, if I wanted to go there, I sure wouldn't start from here!"
:-) I can't speak for Wendel, but personally I'm just trying to switch
entirely from proprietary software to open source. SVG is actually the
format that is *most* widely supported in open-source software; it's just
that open-source vector graphics software doesn't seem to be very mature
yet.

>ImageMagick, the anything to anything graphics program, purports to accept
>SVG and produce PDF.  I haven't tried that particular conversion however.
>BTW what is your platform? IM has Linux and Windows executables. Visit
>http://www.ImageMagick.org.
I'm running FreeBSD, and I can typically run anything that runs on Linux.
I tested ImageMagick as well, and it doesn't handle fonts well. Also, I
don't want everything converted to bitmapped PDF, which is what
ImageMagick and Batik do.