[pdftex] How to include multi-page CCITT Group4 TIFF images?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 7 16:42:49 CET 2004

I have always regarded TIFF as a loose collection of formats, and don't
expect software to be able to read them.  After all, some digital cameras
even have their raw files in TIFF.  So use something else to convert
them, e.g. see

http://www.tug.org/pipermail/pdftex/2002-January/002146.html

Since then the `suboptimal' support for TIFF has been removed in 1.10a:
the NEWS file says

- The support for the inclusion of tif images has been removed as it was
  of limited use (it worked only for gray-scale and rgb images) and
  produced wrong results (all other images types where treated as rgb
  images).  Tif images can be converted on *nix on-the-fly to pngs with
  the help of ImageMagick, epstopdf.sty or pdftex.def v0.4 or newer, and
  thisrule:
   \DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `basename #1.tif`.png}

BTW, Google found the answers ....