[pdftex] Speeding up PDFLaTeX by skipping file inclusion

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu May 15 05:40:22 CEST 2003

    > "K.R.Subramanian" wrote (by email) I believe you have to do
    > pdflatex twice (just like you do latex twice above) to get all
    > the references and citations straightened out. If you can use
    > jpg, use that, as the files are quite compact.

    > Yes, thank you for the correction. This further exagerates the
    > speed difference:

    > latex -> bibtex -> latex -> latex -> dvips -> ps2pdf
    > pdflatex -> bibtex -> pdflatex -> pdflatex

You could also consider

    latex -> bibtex -> latex -> pdflatex

And you could convert all your jpg files to pdf because this
speeds up the pdflatex run significantly.  Otherwise pdftex has to do
the jpg -> pdf conversion.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha			             Phone: +49-511-27060390
Marschnerstr. 25