[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

Tom Kacvinsky tjk at ams.org
Mon Jun 4 18:34:38 CEST 2001

More info:

I took one of the problematic files Bob sent me and added an Encoding object.
No go.  For the fully embdedded font, Acrobat still thinks the font uses the
built-in encoding, and not a custom encoding.  So the built-in encoding
is used, and, again, the duplicate entries are stripped.  Foo!


> Finally, I have discovered if PDF file has a font which has no Encoding object
> associated with it, Acrobat builds the encoding vector in the PS stream from the
> Type 1 font's encoding vector, BUT IT STRIPS ENTRIES 0 -- 31.  Unfortunately,
> changing the Flags entry in the FontDescriptor object to 12 (for CMR10, treat it
> as seriffed and as symbolic) did not help.  I thought that changing the flags so
> that Acrobat thought the font was symbolic would keep it from stripping the
> duplicate entries.  No go...
> This is bad, because the page objects actually use codes 0 -- 31.  Oops!
> However, if the font has an Encoding object associated with it, it uses that to
> build the correct encoding vector for the PS file (that is, all of the char
> codes used on the page are encoded).

More information about the pdftex mailing list