[pdftex] AR 5 not working with pdftex?

Robert Howlett rhowlett at mail.usyd.edu.au
Wed Jun 6 00:11:55 CEST 2001

Hi all,

Tom Kacvinsky noticed a PDF error in a file I sent him.
The file was generated by
pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-14h-released-20010417
and the error is that there is a reference to an object
that doesn't exist. The missing object should be the
encoding vector for an embedded font.
I now think that *this* is the cause of one of the
printing problems I have seen, rather than a bug in
Acrobat Reader 5.0.
My tex file is

\pdfcompresslevel=0
\nopagenumbers
$\Gamma$ fl fi \ss
\bye

and the map file contains

cmr10 CMR10 <<cmr10.pfb

Printing from Acrobat Reader to a postscript printer
gave a blank piece of paper.

However, when I changed the map file line to

cmr10 CMR10 <<cmr10.pfb cmtext.enc

then the pdftex put the encoding vector into the pdf file
-- no more missing object -- and now it printed OK.
(This appears to differ from the behaviour that Tom
observe, for some reason that I don't understand.)
However, the missing object when the map file does
not specify an encoding file certainly seems to be a bug.

Bob Howlett

Tom Kacvinsky wrote:

> sundries1.pdf has a reference to an object that does not exist in
> the PDF

and later