[math-font-discuss] Kerning problems with fouriernc

Tore Haug-Warberg haugwarb at nt.ntnu.no
Mon Feb 7 15:46:23 CET 2011

Dear all,

I've considered to switch from txfonts to fouriernc but are experiencing
some kerning problems with the new font.

Here is a minimal document:

 \documentclass[11pt]{amsbook}

 \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
 \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
%\usepackage{fourier}
%\usepackage{newcent}
 \usepackage{fouriernc}

 \begin{document}
 \frontmatter

 $A,B,V,T,i,j$
 \[
   F_{A,B,V,T,i,j}
 \]

 \backmatter
 \end{document}

The problem I am facing is that there is a MUCH bigger distance between
V and comma, and between T and comma than between the rest of the
symbols. Switching to fourier and newcent, like this:

 \usepackage{fourier}
 \usepackage{newcent}
%\usepackage{fouriernc}

seems to remove the problem. I have so far reproduced the problem on two
different machines (one G4 OS X 10.4 (using Fink installer) and one
DualCore Pentium OS X 10.6 (using MacPorts installer)) and can't see
that there is a platform issue here.

Kind regards,
Tore Haug-Warberg